Golf Today - Over 80000 pages of golf information
 

CELEBRATING 125 YEARS ON THE LINKS AT FORTROSE & ROSEMARKIE GOLF CLUB

28th February 2013

CELEBRATING 125 YEARS ON THE LINKS AT FORTROSE & ROSEMARKIE GOLF CLUB

A JAMES BRAID DESIGNED SCOTTISH LINKS GOLF COURSE

Overlooking the 2nd and 3rd Holes at Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club

Located on the Chanonry Peninsula in the ‘Black Isle' this Scottish links golf course enjoys breath-taking views over the Moray Firth, close to the City of Inverness. Established in 1888 the course was re-designed by the five times Open Champion James Braid in 1932 and will this year be celebrating the historic occasion of our 125th anniversary. 

The course has received accolades such as a ‘gem of a course by the sea', ‘perhaps the best jewel in the Scottish highland golfing crown' and ‘a unique course with special character to be found nowhere else'.  The course is open every day of the year and we welcome golfers from all parts of the globe to play at our fantastic links course.

Looking back to the 9th Green

Fortrose & Rosemarkie Golf Club was formed on the 29th September 1888 and operates as a private members club.  The first documentary evidence of golf being played over Chanonry (now called Fortrose) was in 1702. 

It was contained in a letter from a Mr George MacKenzie of Balconie, a cousin of the Earl of Seaforth and provost of Fortrose at that time.  Writing to his Edinburgh law agent, he thanks him for sending him a club and golf balls but admits that as a farmer he should not really be playing golf at harvest time. 

The Par 3, 5th Hole

He then excuses himself at succumbing to such sporting pleasure by adding the words ‘Oportet Vivre' (Life is for living) – a philosophy followed by many golfers to this day!

In what is our 125 th Anniversary the Club will also be hosting the following national tournaments:-

11-12 August 2013 – The Scottish Boys & Girls U-14's Scottish Amateur Stroke Play Championship

4th September 2013 – The Scottish Ladies Golf Association Commonwealth Spoons

8-10 October 2013 – The Scottish Golfers Alliance Championship (co-hosting with Nairn Dunbar)

Sunset at the 13th Green

Some Historical facts about the club

FORTROSE & ROSEMARKIE GOLF CLUB

FORMED 29th SEPTEMBER 1888

•  THE FIRST DOCUMENTARY EVIDENCE OF GOLF BEING PLAYED OVER CHANONRY (NOW FORTROSE) WAS DURING THE YEAR 1702.

•  BY THE LATTER HALF OF THE 19 TH CENTURY, FORTROSE & ROSEMARKIE EMERGED AS A FAVOURITE PLACE OF SUMMER RETIREMENT FOR MEN OF INDUSTRY AND COMMERCE. IN AROUND 1876 THE KENNEDY FAMILY CAME TO LIVE IN FORTROSE AND IT WAS NOT LONG BEFORE MR KENNEDY, ALREADY A MEMBER OF 5 GOLF CLUBS, HAD CUT AND CLIPPED TWO HOLES ON THE LINKS, ONE CLOSE TO WHERE THE CLUBHOUSE NOW STANDS AND ONE BY THE WITCHES STONE * ON THE 17 TH FAIRWAY. OFFICER FRIENDS OF MY KENNEDY WOULD BE INVITED FROM FORT GEORGE (BY ROWING ACROSS) TO PLAY ON THE COURSE ALONG WITH LOCALS AT THIS TIME.

The Double Green at the 6th and 11th

•  WHEN THE CLUB WAS OFFICIALLY FORMED IN 1888 IT WAS BY THE END OF THAT YEAR THAT THE CLUB HAD A MEMBERSHIP OF AROUND 50 MEMBERS . AT THIS TIME THE MOTOR CAR WAS YET BUT A DREAM OF THE INVENTOR AND THE HIGHLAND RAILWAY WAS STILL A DECADE AWAY FROM PENETRATING THE HINTERLAND KNOWN AS THE BLACK ISLE. THE FIRST CLUBHOUSE WAS BUILT AND OPENED IN 1895. ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP COST 5/- PER YEAR WHICH WAS THE EQUIVALENT TO TWO DAYS WAGES FOR A LABOURER AT THAT TIME.

•  DURING THE ABSENCE OF A CLUBHOUSE PRIOR TO 1895 ARRANGMENTS WERE MADE FOR MEMBERS TO LEAVE THEIR CLUBS IN THE CARE OF THE GOVENER OF THE NEARBY BLACK ISLE POOR HOUSE . THERE WERE ALSO PROBLEMS WITH CARTS BEING DRIVEN AT RANDOM OVER THE COURSE TO COLLECT SAND AND SHINGLE FROM THE SHORE OR TO CARRY ICE TO THE FISHING STATION AT THE POINT. THE TOWN COUNCIL EVENTUALLY SORTED THIS PROBLEM BY LAYING OUT DESIGNATED ROUTES.

The 4th Green – The signature hole of the course

•  DURING THE FIRST WORLD WAR THE MEMBERSHIP WAS SOMEWHAT REDUCED AND COMPETITIONS WERE SUSPENDED WITH CLUB ACTIVITY VIRTUALLY CEASING UNTIL 1919 BY WHICH TIME CONSIDERABLE DAMAGE HAD BEEN DONE TO THE CLUBHOUSE BY MEN OF THE HIGHLAND CYCLIST BATTALION WHO HAD USED THE PREMISES AS A GUARDHOUSE.

•  IT WAS NOT UNTIL 1922 ONCE INTEREST IN GOLF WAS REVIVED THAT THE COURSE WAS ONCE AGAIN BROUGHT TO A SUFFICIENT STANDARD TO ALLOW FOR COMPETITIONS TO TAKE PLACE.

•  ON A CLEAR DAY THE CHANONRY LIGHTHOUSE STANDS OUT AGAINST THE SOMBRE BACKGROUND OF FORT GEORGE. THE FORT WAS INITIALLY A CHAIN OF GARRISON BARRACKS CONSTRUCTED ALONG A LINE OF THE GREAT GLEN (FORT AUGUSTUS & FORT WILLIAM THE OTHERS) TO HOUSE GOVERNMENT TROOPS WHO WERE GIVEN THE TASK OF BRINGING THE HIGHLAND CLANS INTO LINE FOLLOWING THE BATTLE OF CULLODEN IN 1746. THE FORT REMAINS AS A BASE FOR SCOTTISH REGIMENTS TO THIS DAY.

•  IN 1940 THE COURSE AND CLUBHOUSE WAS REQUISITIONED BY THE MILITARY AUTHORITIES AS A TRAINING GROUND, WHERE SEA LANDING TACTICS WERE PRACTISED IN PREPARATION FOR THE D-DAY LANDINGS . THE ONLY REMAINING SIGNS OF WARTIME ACTIVITY NOW ARE THE CONCRETE BOLLARDS TO THE LEFT OF THE 3 RD AND 4 TH FAIRWAYS. WITH THE DAMAGE DONE TO THE COURSE DURING THE TRAINING THE CLUB WERE AWARDED £ 4,000 IN COMPENSATION BY THE WAR DEPARTMENT IN 1945 AND BY 1946, 9 HOLES HAD BEEN RESTORED. BY THE FOLLOWING YEAR ALL 18 HOLES WERE RETURNED TO AN ACCEPTABLE STANDARD.

•  PAR 71 – SSS – 69 – YARDAGE – 5890 YARDS - CLUB SECRETARY – MIKE MacDONALD

•  CLUB CAPTAIN – PHILIP TAYLOR – VICE-CAPTAIN – PHILLIP THORN

•  CLUB PRESIDENT – HAMISH MacCULLOCH – VICE-PRESIDENT – ROSSIE MacDONALD

•  BY THE MID 1950'S THE MEMBERSHIP HAD OUTGROWN THE FACILITIES OF THE CLUBHOUSE AND IN 1958 MISS ISA ROSS (ONE OF THE CLUBS BENEFACTORS), OFFERED TO LEND MONEY FOR A NEW CLUBHOUSE AT A NOMINAL RATE OF INTEREST. PLANS WERE THEN DRAWN UP AFTER WHICH MISS ROSS ASTOUNDED MEMBERS BY REVEALING THAT SHE WOULD MEET THE ENTIRE COST HERSELF AND THE NEW CLUBHOUSE OPENED IN 1959 BUT WITH ONE CONDITION. THIS WAS THAT NO ALCOHOL WOULD BE SOLD ON THE PREMISES – THE CLUB ACCEPTED THIS ALTHOUGH LEGAL OBSTACLES WERE OVERCOME AND IN 1977 A LIQUOR LICENCE WAS OBTAINED AND A BAR WAS OPENED FOR MEMBERS TO PURCHASE ALCOHOL. DAI REES OPENED THE BAR ON 14 TH MAY 1977 .

•  THE CLUBHOUSE WAS EXTENDED ONCE AGAIN IN 1983 AS AGAIN IT WAS PROVING TOO SMALL WITH THE DEMANDS PLACED UPON IT AND AN OVERDRAFT WAS TAKEN OUT TO FINANCE AN NEW EXTENSION WHICH IS HOW IT LOOKS NOW.

James Braid in action

•  IN 1932, JAMES BRAID WAS INVITED TO ADVISE ON A NEW COURSE LAYOUT. WITH NEW LAND BEING ACQUIRED AT CHANONRY POINT THIS WAS THE OPPORTUNITY TO EXTEND THE COURSE. ON SATURDAY, 8 TH JUNE 1935 A NEWSPAPER REPORT NOTED THAT ‘THE NEW 18 HOLE GOLF COURSE, LAID OUT BY MR JAMES BRAID, IS OF GREAT VARIETY AND NECESSITATES MUCH SKILL. IT'S SPORTING CHARACTER WILL, NO DOUBT, ATTRACT MANY VISITORS TO THE DISTRICT'

•  OVER THE NEXT TWO YEARS AS MORE LAND BECAME AVAILABLE TO LENGTHEN SOME HOLES MR JAMES BRAID WAS INVITED BACK TO MAKE A FRESH SURVEY. HIS FEE WAS £12.10/-. UNDER MR BRAID'S RECOMMENDATIONS THE COURSE WAS REDESIGNED AND A COURSE WAS LAID OUT FORMING THE BASIS OF THE ONE IN USE TO THE PRESENT DAY.

•  16 TH HOLE – NAMED AFTER THE BRAHAN SEER WHO WAS ALLEGEDLY BURNT IN A SPIKED TAR BARREL THEREABOUTS BECAUSE OF THE DOOM AND DESPAIR HE FORETOLD ABOUT THE HOUSE OF SEAFORTH. A MEMORIAL CAIRN IS LOCATED AT CHANONRY POINT. HE IS THOUGHT TO HAVE USED A STONE WITH A HOLE IN THE MIDDLE TO SEE HIS VISIONS.

1st hole looking back towards the green

•  *17 TH HOLE – NAMED AS ‘CLAY POTS' – WHICH IS PROBABLY THE FINEST DRIVING HOLE ON THE COURSE WHERE YOU HOPE TO LAND NEAR THE STONE WHERE THE LAST WITCH IN SCOTLAND IS REPUTED TO HAVE BEEN BURNED – IN A CLAY POT MAYBE?
•  18 TH HOLE – FIERY HILLOCK – A FINE FINISHING HOLE WHERE THE WHINS LINING THE FAIRWAY DESTROY MANY A FINE ROUND. THE CENTRE BUNKER SHORT OF THE GREEN WAS ONCE A MOUND WHERE FIRES WERE LIT IN THE OLDEN DAYS TO SEND NEWS OF A DISASTER ALONG THE MORAY COAST.

•  FAMOUS VISITORS TO THE LINKS – 1950's – PRIME MINISTER HERBERT ASQUITH WHO OFTEN VENTURED ONTO A GOLF COURSE IN THE SOUTH OF ENGLAND WITH BODYGUARDS TO WARD OFF THE ATTENTIONS OF MEMBERS OF THE SUFFRAGETTE MOVEMENT DURING HIS TIME IN OFFICE.

•  KING HAAKON OF NORWAY VISITED THE COURSE DURING THE 2 ND WORLD WAR CONFLICT AND SURVEYED THE SCENE AS HIS TROOPS TRAINED ALONGSIDE OTHER ALLIED FORCES IN PREPARATION FOR THE D-DAY LANDINGS AT NORMANDY.

The 4th Green (again)

•  FORTROSE & ROSEMARKIE GOLF CLUB PLAYED AN INSPIRATIONAL PART IN THE COMPOSITION OF THE FAMOUS ‘ COLONEL BOGEY ' MARCH SHORTLY BEFORE THE 1 ST WORLD WAR. OFFICERS STATIONED ACROSS THE WATER AT FORT GEORGE WERE HONORARY MEMBERS OF THE CLUB AND FREQUENTLY MADE THE BOAT CROSSING TO PLAY ON THE COURSE. BANDMASTER RICKETTS OF THE 93 RD HIGHLANDERS OFTEN PARTNERED HIS COLONEL TO THE LINKS AT A TIME WHEN ‘BOGEY' WAS REGARDED AS PAR FOR EACH HOLE. WHILST PLAYING ONE DAY THEIR ATTENTION WAS DRAWN BY ANOTHER GOLFER WHO WHISTLED FROM A DISTANCE AWAY TO ATTRACT THEIR ATTENTION. THE TWO NOTES WHISTLED BECAME IMPRINTED IN THE BANDMASTERS MIND AND CAME TO FORM THE OPENING BAR OF THE FAMOUS TUNE HE WAS INSPIRED TO WRITE AND WHICH HE ENTITLED ‘COLONEL BOGEY'.

 







Charity Golf Days
Our calendar, plus news of people and events raising money for good causes through golf.

Motoring
Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe - the world’s greatest road-going V8?
Motoring Features from Golf Today

So what are these worth?
A look at the valuations of various items of golf ephemora that readers own.

Golf Course Directory
The world's most comprehensive and up to date guide to over 18,000 golf courses worldwide.

Golfing A-Z
Stableford? Condor? Hole in One records? How much does Tiger earn? You'll find it all here.
© Golftoday.co.uk 1996-2014 - Terms & Conditions - Privacy Policy - About Us - Advertise - Newsletter - Contact Us